CAA Writing Links: An Overview
Disclaimer: The external links on this site are provided for your convenience. The CAA has no control over the content of external sites and we suggest that you verify the accuracy of the information you find there.
This page is designed to help you get the most out of these Canadian Writing Resources. To locate specific information, look at:
- The Writing Links Index (a sectional index).
- The CAA Site Index (an index by keyword for the whole CAA site).
This page explains how the Writing Links pages are organized and how best to find the information you are looking for.
Link Integrity and Content
The Web is a Dynamic Place
Check back to this site frequently. Content changes on a regular basis as new links are found and old ones disappear.
These links are maintained to the best of our ability with the intention of providing a selection of the most useful and appropriate links of value to Canadian writers.
However, the Internet changes frequently and you may find the links no longer work or point to inappropriate sites (porn and gambling sites have the habit of snapping up expired domains with significant traffic).
Canadian Content Where Possible
This site uses Canadian links where possible and adds others where Canadian sites don't exist or where they add significant information useful to Canadian writers.
Verify Information on Linked Pages
The CAA cannot be responsible for the content of external links. Please use your own resources to verify the accuracy of the information you find there.
Links Open in New Windows
When you click on a link that is external to this site, it will open in a new browser window. This change was made since a number of sites lock your ability to return to this site with your back button. Sometimes you can also lose track of us during your search.
All links that point outside of this site open a separate browser window. This is not a pop-up but an integral part of how this site functions.
Close the Windows to Return Here
When you wish to return to this site, simply close the browser window that was generated when you clicked on the external link.
How to Find What You Are Looking For
How the Links Are Organized
Organized in Categories
The writing links are organized onto pages of similar links and the various pages are grouped into categories to help you locate what you are looking for.
Links Indexed Two Ways
- Use the Writing Links Index to locate the resources you are seeking. The index has a brief description of each page and what is indexed on it.
- Use the CAA Site Index to locate other resources you are seeking. That page indexes specific keywords for the entire CAA site and indicates where you can find information related to that topic.
Navigation Bar Listing
Once you are in the links pages you can use the navigation bar on the left of each page to navigate to another page of links. We suggest you bookmark the Writing Links Index for future visits.
The navigation bar also allows you to locate information on other areas of this site. This is a dynamic listing that changes relative to the current page, but the main pages of the CAA site are available at all times.
Occasionally the site is reorganized and pages may disappear or the nature of the content may change significantly. In that case the Writing Links Index will show you how the content is now organized.
If you are brought to this site by an external link that is incorrect, we would appreciate if you could let the referring site know their link to us is broken and provide the correct link.
Submitting Link Suggestions
Content Must Be Relevant: No SEO Exchanges
If your site doesn't help a writer improve their craft or market their writing, it probably isn't relevant.
CAA Writing Links are a series of static links relevant to Canadian writers, particularly to our membership.
If your content is not directly related to our site content, we are not interested in linking to you.
- Links must be relevant for Canadian writers.
- We seldom include non-Canadian sites unless they provide relevant information not already on this site.
- No SEO link exchanges. While we appreciate links to our site, we do not exchange links. Please do not ask. Sites with relevant content is NOT linked if we determine that SEO is the primary purpose (usually content on commercial sites where such content doesn't naturally occur).
- Sites with content contrary to the aims and goals of the CAA will not be linked.
- We do not link to sites promoting your own writing (except for our members' sites).
Links Must Be Static
The links on this section of the site must require little maintenance. We understand that sites do move from time-to-time, but it is not our intention to link to content that is transient.
- Linked sites must exist year-around. Seasonal or temporary content, such as workshops or events listed on the host venue's website, will not be included.
- We do not link to frames-based sites unless the entire site is relevant. Links to a specific page within these sites usually results in the breaking of that site's navigation and headings information, making it difficult for viewers to get more information.
- Links requiring specific navigation instructions will not be linked. This is a weakness of frames-based sites. Such detailed step-by-step instructions are not practical for a referring website.
Links May Be Removed
Links on this site may be removed at our discretion without notice. Reasons for removal include:
- The nature of the content has altered so that it is either no longer relevant or that it now contravenes one or more of the linking conditions.
- The site is not available, leading us to believe that the site is no longer functioning. Simply changing the page extensions (e.g. from .htm or .html to .php) can be enough to break a link to a page.
Policies Subject to Change
The conditions on this page are subject to amendment or removal according to the guidelines as set down by the CAA National Executive.
Updated: February 16, 2013