Writing Resources by Genre
Academic & Educational Writing | Children's Literature | Christian | Horror | Journalism & Freelance | Mystery & Crime | Mythology & Legend | Poetry | Romance | Science Fiction & Fantasy | Screenwriters & Playwrights | Songwriting | Storytelling | Technical Writing
Academic & Educational Writing
- Teachers & Writers Collaborative will interest teachers that are writers.
- Children's Literature Web Guide () hasn't been maintained recently, but is a great resource.
- The Canadian Children's Literature () collection contains more than 140,000 books of fiction and non-fiction published in English and French, as well as other languages.
- Database of Award-Winning Children's Literature.
- Page by Page: Creating a Children's Book () (archived by Library and Archives Canada).
- The Children's Book Centre () helps the writers and illustrators reach the readers.
- The Children's Book Council.
- write4kids.com The Children's Writing SuperSite.
- The Word Guild () connecting, supporting, and developing Canadian writers and editors who are Christian.
- Utmost Christian Writers () where Christian poets find encouragement and support.
Journalism & Freelance
- Canadian Association of Journalists. ()
- Canadian Association of Journalists List () Non-CAJ members are welcome as guests on this list.
- Center for Environmental Journalism.
- Columbia Journalism Review.
- Fame and Fortune () lists journalism and communication awards, prizes, fellowships, grants and exchange programs available to Canadians.
- JournalismNet.com () is a working journalist's guide to the Net including such resources as a listing of Canadian journalism pages.
- Kidon's Media Links.
- Peter's Place Of Freelance Journalism. ()
- Ryerson Review of Journalism. ()
- The Reporters Network for freelance writers and reporters.
Mystery & Crime
- Crime Writers of Canada. ()
- Mystery Writers of America.
- The Mystery Writers' Forum includes some excellent mystery writing links.
- Mystery Writing Lessons by P.D. James.
- Mystery Writing Resources include links to information about forensics, the law, crime scene investigation and weapons.
Mythology & Legend
- Classical Myth: The Ancient Sources () by Laurel Bowman at the Department of Greek and Roman Studies, University of Victoria.
- Folklore, Myth and Legend () by David K. Brown (now retired) at the University of Calgary.
- Gods, Heroes, and Myth includes Greek, Roman, Celtic, Egyptian, Japanese, Native American, Chinese and Babylonian mythologies.
- John Adcox's Mythology & Folklore.
- The British Columbia Folklore Society () has a series of folklore links.
- Canadian Poetry Archive () features selected poems from over 100 early English- and French-language Canadian poets.
- Canadian Poetry Online () University of Toronto library.
- Poets' Encyclopedia focuses on contemporary human poetics; particularly that of independent and small press poets born after 1935.
- The League of Canadian Poets. ()
- The Stroll of Poets Society. ()
- Bookbug on the Web has resources for romance writers.
- Canadian Romance Authors Network (CRAN). ()
- Vanessa Grant Online () has links to books for writers, software, manuscript evaluation services and more.
Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Canadian Science Fiction Index () hosted by Robert J. Sawyer.
- Locus Online: News, reviews, resources and perspectives of the science fiction world.
- Science & Science Fiction — an inquirer's guide to the universe.
- SciFan helping readers discover new science fiction and fantasy books and authors.
- The Ultimate Science Fiction Web Guide.
Screenwriters & Playwrights
- Canadian Screenwriter () is published quarterly by the Writers Guild of Canada.
- doollee.com the playwrights database of modern plays since 1956.
- Playwrights Union of Canada. ()
- Playwriting Basics by Charles Deemer (archived link).
- Screenwriting Basics by Charles Deemer (archived link).
- Screenwright: the craft of screenwriting — Charles Deemer's self-guided course in writing the Hollywood screenplay.
- Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada (SOCAN) () is the Canadian copyright collective that administers the performing rights of its members and those of affiliated international societies by licensing the use of their music in Canada.
- Songwriters Association of Canada () is a national organization dedicated to Canadian composers, lyricists and songwriters.
Storytelling is perhaps not really a writing genre but it complements children's writing and can sharpen a writer's skills. There may be storytelling guild members in your area that can provide you with ideas and a venue to practice this art. Storytelling brings out the child in all of us! See also the Mythology & Legend listings.
- Children's Literature | Resources for Storytellers. ()
- Storytellers of Canada/Conteurs du Canada. ()
- The Storytelling FAQ.
- The Storytelling Ring includes links to Storytellers, Organizations, Guilds & Festivals, and Resources.
- Technical Writing — the Writers Write specialty section for technical writing.
- TECHWR-L is a newsletter format that includes tips and leads for technical writers.
- Technical Writing Resources.
- The Tech Writer's Assistant provides a good overview on tech writing.
Updated: February 16, 2013