Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
On-line Reference Works
- iTools Language Tools.
- Merriam-Webster On-Line Dictionary.
- Merriam-Webster On-Line Thesaurus.
- OneLook Dictionary Search.
- Biographical Dictionary covers more than 28,000 notable men and women who have shaped our world from ancient times to the present day.
- Dictionary of Symbolism.
- TERMIUM Plus® (), the Government of Canada’s terminology and linguistic data bank, contains more than 3,900,000 terms in English, French and Spanish.
Computer & Internet
- Free On-line Dictionary of Computers and Computer Terms.
- NetLingo Dictionary of Online Words: A Glossary of Internet Jargon with Definitions of Terminology & Acronyms.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
- Acronyms and Abbreviations | biased towards acronyms used in chemistry or spectroscopy.
- The Internet Acronym Server for acronyms and words used in acronyms.
- Computer-Related Abbreviations and Acronyms.
Reference Listings & Collections
- Bibliomania Reference Section — fully searchable copies of your favourite language reference books, including dictionaries, books of quotations, synonyms, thesaurus, and literary sources.
- Online Writing Resources from the University of Maine Writing Center.
- YourDictionary.com | a Web of on-line dictionaries.
- CIA World Factbook includes international maps and information like the United Nations system, abbreviations, organizations and groups, several cross-references, and weights and measures.
- Tech Encyclopedia.
- Symbols: An Encyclopedia of Western Signs and Ideograms.
- Canadiana The Canadian Resource Page.
- CanLinks — a directory of Web resources relevant to Canadian Studies maintained by David Lucking.
- CanadaInfo — A Tribute to Canada has details about Canadian symbols, anthems and other patriotic songs, etc. as well as the usual geographic information.
- Decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada () (Lexum is now a private company).
- Canadian Legal Research.
- Doing Legal Research in Canada.
- Chan Robles Worldwide Legal Resources.
- Russ Harvey's Health & Medical Links () to professional medical journals on-line as well as information about nutrition, alternative health, toxic substances and hospitals.
Lists and Databases
- The Internet Movie Database allows searches of over 180,000 movies for such details as cast, crew, characters, awards, etc. and lists movies by category.
- Pulitzer Prizes.
- Trademark Basics includes A Guide to Proper Trademark Use (especially for media and publishing professionals).
- Urban Legends.
- Bible Gateway allows you to choose the version and language you prefer, then search by passage or word.
Updated: February 16, 2013